|New High Sensitivity Troponin Test
Notification Date: February 3, 2023
Effective Date: February 14, 2023
SUBJECT: High Sensitivity Troponin Test
High sensitivity troponin (hs troponin) will be introduced at SSM St. Mary’s Hospital Madison on February 14, 2023. Hs troponin has better precision at the lower end of measurement and allows for faster rule in and rule out acute myocardial infarction assessment.
Two troponin high sensitive orders will be available:
- Troponin-I high sensitive [LAB14358]
- Troponin-I high sensitive baseline + 1 hr [LAB14867]
Key Points with this change:
- Abnormal values as well as reported units will be different than conventional troponin testing.
- Abnormal values will be sex specific:
- Normal male reference range: </= 35 ng/L
- Normal female reference range: </= 14 ng/L
- Clinics can order high sensitivity troponin in the same manner - specimens will be routed to the hospital to be performed.
- Important considerations - high sensitivity troponin has a stability of only 8 hours and needs a dedicated tube (hs troponin cannot be added on to other tubes).
- When high sensitivity troponin is introduced, traditional troponin will no longer be offered for testing at Madison.
Please direct questions or comments to:
Adam Morgan, M.D., Medical Director, SMM Laboratory, (608) 258-6914
Molly Gurney, M.D., Assistant Medical Director of Chemistry, SMM Laboratory, (608) 258-6914
Please communicate to colleagues and staff in your area accordingly.
Adam Morgan, M.D.
Laboratory Medical Director
Pathology, SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital Madison
700 South Park Street
Madison, WI 53715
Office: (608) 258-6914