Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) uses state-of-the-art technology to provide comprehensive diagnostic services to clinicians, hospitals and outside laboratories. Our work helps ensure children everywhere lead healthier lives.
New Tests Available!
Our Metabolic and Advanced Diagnostics laboratory offers comprehensive diagnosis and disease management for patients with disorders resulting from inborn errors of metabolism. We are excited to highlight 3 new innovative tests that are now available for physicians and clients to order.
Please type the test name in the Search Bar or click the New Tests link in the sidebar for more information about these tests and instructions for how to order them.
- Reduced and Oxidized Glutathione: used for patients in whom mitochondrial dysfunction or other conditions where oxidative stress is suspected, monitoring for known mitochondrial disease, and monitoring the efficacy of n-acetylcysteine therapy.
- Oxidative Phosphorylation Fibroblast: used for patients requiring subcategorization of the presence of mitochondrial dysfunction, such as in genetic disease (primary mitochondrial disease) or secondary to other diseases.
- Ketone Bodies Panel: used for patients in whom mitochondrial dysfunction is suspected or other conditions in which acetoacetate is a key component, such as diabetes mellitus type 1 and catabolic states. This test can be used to monitor adherence to therapeutic diets (ketogenic diets), assessment of low-level ketosis for treatment adherence, efficiency of ketone utilization, and monitoring for complications such as ketoacidosis.
For facilities outside of CHOP that are interested in sending samples for testing:
- Please refer to the Outreach Testing Services link in the sidebar for information about setting up an account, shipping details, and billing.
- For pricing questions, please email ClinicalLabOutreach@chop.edu.